Need a recommendation for buying a Smart Phone for my clinic front office. Average configiration, OS and Memory upgradable/expandable, Economic - preferable within 6-7k.
Main usage will be Calling, Whatsapp, Clinic management Apps... 7 months ago
Knowledge Junction:Answered in 1123 mins
Greetings Dr. Aditya,
Thank you for writing in to us. Usually, the Doctor's old phones find their way as 'hand-me-downs' to the Receptionist's tables. Glad to see that you are focussed on a dedicated device.
Taking into consideration the requirements and budget we decode it as follows:
- Decent brand - hence good quality network and calls
- Minimum 2 GB RAM
- Minimum 8 GB internal memory
- Atleast Android 6.0 Marshmallow, not lower - and maybe possibility of upgrade to Android 7.0 Nougat
- Memory Card slot present
- Atleast 5 inch 1280 x 720 display
- 5 MP camera minimum - some clinic management apps make use of a camera
- Battery life of minimal consequence since it would be used in one place, more or less
This ticks all the boxes required above, except that there is no guarantee of the Android upgrade.
2. Xiaomi RedMi 4A - Rs. 5,999
This too, ticks all the boxes. But availability is an issue and not everyone feels the same about the heavily skinned MIUI of Xiaomi phones. To some people it can be a small learning curve.
Given our experience with such phones we find ourselves wanting to recommend a Micromax or Karbonn or Xolo or Lava or Vivo - given their specs on paper. But our long-term experience of using these phones has been less than satisfactory, especially when you are looking for a stable work-horse device, where you don't have to worry about reliability or issues for 18 to 24 months.
Hope this answers your queries, if you have any specific phone in mind or any other queries please feel free to write back to us in this conversation or as a new query.